Within this article, we will discuss various potential solutions that you can implement if your Xbox Controller is accelerating excessively. According to gamers, the controller exhibits an abnormally high speed during gameplay. This presents an issue as it obstructs your ability to engage in gaming activities until the problem is rectified.
Xbox Controller is accelerating excessively
If your Xbox controller is accelerating excessively, here are some recommendations that demonstrate how to resolve the issue of the Xbox One Controller accelerating excessively. Prior to proceeding, you can attempt to disconnect and reconnect your controller to your Xbox Console. Some users have found success with this workaround, and perhaps it will be effective for you as well.
- Disable rapid scrolling
- Perform a power cycle on your Xbox Console
- Update your controller’s firmware
- Verify if any controller buttons are stuck
- Resynchronize your Xbox controller
- Perform a factory reset on your Xbox console
How to resolve Xbox One Controller accelerating excessively
1] Disable rapid scrolling
You may have enabled the Fast Scroll feature on your Xbox controller. Fast Scroll is a feature that enables quick menu navigation by pressing and quickly tapping one of the face buttons while holding down the RB button. To disable rapid scrolling, follow the steps outlined below.
- Press and hold the RB button for 10 seconds.
- The rapid scrolling feature will be disabled.
2] Perform a power cycle on your Xbox Console
At times, power cycling can resolve the issue by eliminating any temporary glitches that may be causing the controller to accelerate excessively. To perform a power cycle on your Xbox console, follow these steps.
- Press and hold the Xbox button for 5-10 seconds.
- The Xbox console will turn off.
- Disconnect the power cord.
- Wait for a few seconds.
- Reconnect the power cord and switch it on to supply power to the console.
- Now, turn on your console.
3] Update your controller’s firmware
Firmware is responsible for controlling the basic functions and features of your device. Manufacturers release firmware updates to resolve bugs, enhance performance, or introduce new features. To update your controller’s firmware, follow the steps below.
You can update your controller’s firmware using a PC, wirelessly, or via USB. If you’re updating the controller’s firmware wirelessly, follow these steps:
- If you’re using a stereo headset adapter, connect a headset.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Navigate to Profile & system > Settings > Devices & connections > Accessories, and select the desired controller for updating.
- On the Xbox Wireless Controller screen, choose “…” to check the firmware version.
- If you see the Update message on your screen, select the firmware version, and follow the on-screen instructions.
You should also physically inspect your Xbox controller. It’s possible that some of the buttons on your controller are jammed, resulting in the excessive acceleration on the screen. If this is the case, unjam the affected button.
5] Resynchronize your Xbox controller
Resynchronizing your Xbox controller might also resolve this issue. Locate the sync button next to the USB-C input port on the top of the Xbox Wireless Controller. Press the Sync button on your Xbox controller and hold it until the controller power button begins flashing, mirroring the console.
6] Perform a factory reset on your Xbox console
Some gamers have reported fixing this issue by performing a factory reset on their Xbox console. Follow these steps to carry out a factory reset.
- Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
- Select Profile & system > Settings > System > Console info.
- Select Reset console.
- On the Reset your console screen.
- Select Reset and keep my games & apps.
This action will reset your console without deleting your data.
That’s it. We hope the aforementioned solutions assist you in resolving your issue.
Read this: Xbox One Controller not working or not recognized by PC.
Why is my Xbox controller accelerating excessively?
This issue can be attributed to the Fast Scroll feature being enabled on your controller, resulting in the observed behavior. Other potential causes include a corrupted cache or jammed buttons.
Can you resolve Xbox controller drift?
Indeed, you can resolve Xbox controller drift. Frequently, the primary cause of this issue is the accumulation of dust. You can use a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean your Xbox controller. Additionally, employing a compressed air blower can dislodge any dust or dirt particles that might be contributing to the drift.
Read next: Xbox Console is not detecting or displaying WiFi networks.