You can see the arrangement of straight cables and their functions below, we will explain in detail the discussion this time. Read more below.
At this time, computers and networks are very important tools in everyday life. There are many cables used to connect these devices, including straight cables. In this article, we will explain the arrangement of straight cables and their functions.
A straight cable, or often also called a LAN cable, is a cable used to connect two similar devices, such as a computer to a computer or a network device to another network device. This cable is called “straight” because the order of the pins on both ends of this cable is the same.
Also Read: The Wifi Icon Doesn’t Appear on the Laptop
Straight Cable Type
Straight cables come in various types, the most common being UTP (Unshielded Twisted Pair) and STP (Shielded Twisted Pair) cables. UTP cable is more commonly used because it is cheaper and sufficient for most applications.
Straight Cable Arrangements and Their Functions
Straight cable consists of eight wires with different colors. The arrangement of the cables is very important, because if they are stacked incorrectly, the cables will not function properly.
In the following we will explain the arrangement of straight cables and their functions, see in full below:
1. Straight Cable Color
In general, straight cables have eight colors, namely white-orange, orange, white-green, blue, white-blue, green, white-brown, and brown.
The colors are arranged in such a way that the order of each wire at one end of the straight is the same as the order of the wires at the other end.
2. Sequence and Explanation of Each Cable Color
The following is the arrangement of straight cables and their functions, please look carefully.
- White-orange: Pin 1 (TX+) – Transmit Positive
- Orange: Pin 2 (TX-) – Transmit Negative
- White-green: Pin 3 (RX+) – Receive Positive
- Blue: Pin 4 (empty)
- White-blue: Pin 5 (empty)
- Green: Pin 6 (RX-) – Receive Negative
- White-brown: Pin 7 (empty)
- Chocolate: Pin 8 (empty)
- Straight Cable Function
3. Connecting Computer Devices
One of the main functions of a straight cable is to connect two computer devices. Straight cables are used when you want to transfer data between two computers or other similar devices.
For example, when you want to play games together or share files with each other.
4. Provide Data Communication
Straight cables are also used in local networks, especially when the local network uses a bus topology.
Bus topology is when all the devices are connected to the same cable. In bus topology, a straight cable is used to connect between two devices connected to the network.
5. Connect Network Devices
Straight cables are also used to connect network devices such as switches and routers.
Straight cables are used to connect ports on the device to ports on other network devices.
Straight cables can also be used to connect between two switches or two routers.
How to Make Straight Cables
To make a straight cable, several materials are needed, namely:
- UTP or STP cable (length is adjusted to the distance between the two devices to be connected)
- RJ45 Connectors (8P8C)
- Crimping tool (a tool for attaching the connector to the end of the cable)
Straight Cable Making Steps
Here are the steps to make a straight cable:
- Cut the UTP or STP cable to a length that fits the distance between the two devices to be connected.
- Arrange the cables in the correct order as described above.
- Cut the ends of the wires so that they are even and separated.
- Insert the cable ends into the RJ45 Connector (8P8C) in the correct order.
- Use the crimping tool to attach the connector to the end of the cable. Press firmly so that the connector is properly attached and the cable is not easily detached.
This article has explained the arrangement of straight cables and their functions.
A straight cable is a cable that is used to connect two similar devices, such as a computer to a computer or a network device to another network device.
The arrangement of the cables on a straight cable is very important, because if it is stacked incorrectly, the cable will not function properly.
The main function of a straight cable is to connect computer devices, provide data communication, and connect network devices.
If you want to make a straight cable, you will need certain materials and steps to follow in order for the cable to function properly.
It is important to know the arrangement of straight cables and their functions so that we can choose the right type of cable for our needs.
Post Views: 9