Meta introduced WhatsApp Channel to provide users with a platform to broadcast their messages. You can subscribe to a WhatsApp Channel of your preferred creators, influencers, or any organization or individual. If you are new to WhatsApp channels and want to learn how to do the same, this article is for you.
What is a WhatsApp Channel?
In the same vein as the Telegram Channel or any other broadcasting network, Meta introduced WhatsApp Channels. It is essentially a broadcasting network where the creator can send messages or updates to subscribers, similar to Telegram or Instagram channels. Creators and anyone who has received the update to create a channel can do so and share their channels. It’s important to note that this is different from WhatsApp groups because only the channel owner can send messages or create posts.
How to Sign up for a WhatsApp Channel
Signing up or joining a WhatsApp Channel is quite simple. You can even find channels of your choice and then join them. To sign up for a WhatsApp Channel, follow the steps outlined below.
- Open WhatsApp on your device and navigate to Updates. If you are using WhatsApp Web, click on the Channel icon. You can hover over icons to identify the Channels icon.
- Next, click on the Plus (+) icon and then select Find Channels.
- You can browse channels of creators you like and join them.
However, if someone has shared the channel link with you, there is no need to follow the aforementioned steps. All you need to do is either tap on the link or click the View Channel button and then click Follow. This will seamlessly join the channel.
Read: How to set up a WhatsApp Channel
How to Unfollow or Unsubscribe from a WhatsApp Channel
Sometimes, the content of a WhatsApp channel may not be to your liking. In that case, you can unfollow that channel and look for an alternative. To unsubscribe from a WhatsApp Channel, follow the steps below.
WhatsApp on the web
- Open WhatsApp on any browser and click on the Channel button.
- Next, click on the Channel you wish to unfollow.
- Once the channel’s page appears, click on the three dots and select Unfollow.
- You will be asked to confirm your action, so click Unfollow again.
WhatsApp on Mobile
- Open the WhatsApp application on your mobile device.
- Go to the Updates tab.
- Tap on the Channel you no longer wish to follow, click on the three dots, and select Unfollow.
- Confirm your action, and you’re good to go.
This will accomplish the task for you.
Read: How to use WhatsApp Communities on PC and Phone
Is WhatsApp channel available in India?
Yes, WhatsApp is rolling out updates in 150 countries, including India. However, the capability to create channels will not be immediately available to all WhatsApp users. If the update has not yet been rolled out to you, you won’t be able to create a channel. In the meantime, you can subscribe to existing channels to understand how the system works.
Read: How to create a Sticker on WhatsApp Web or WhatsApp Desktop?
Is WhatsApp Channel free?
Yes, WhatsApp Channel is free, just like groups in WhatsApp. It is available through the free app that can be downloaded from respective app stores, and there is no need to pay any premium to access this feature.
Read: WhatsApp Tips and Tricks you should know.