Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is a popular open-source software used for live streaming and recording. It is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems. OBS is a powerful tool that allows users to record their screen, webcam, and audio. However, some Mac users have reported difficulties in opening OBS recordings on their devices. In this article, we will discuss How to Open OBS Recordings On Mac and provide some tips to avoid common issues.
How to Open OBS Recordings On Mac
Understanding OBS Recordings
Before we dive into How to Open OBS Recordings On Mac, it is essential to understand the file format used by OBS. OBS recordings are saved in the FLV (Flash Video) format by default. FLV is a container format used to deliver video over the internet. However, FLV files are not compatible with most media players on Mac, including QuickTime and VLC. Therefore, to open OBS recordings on Mac, you need to convert them to a compatible format.
- Key point 1: OBS recordings are saved in the FLV format by default.
- Key point 2: FLV files are not compatible with most media players on Mac.
- Key point 3: To open OBS recordings on Mac, you need to convert them to a compatible format.
Converting OBS Recordings to MP4
The most common format used to play videos on Mac is MP4. Therefore, to open OBS recordings on Mac, you need to convert them to MP4. There are several ways to convert OBS recordings to MP4, including using third-party software or online converters. Here’s how to convert OBS recordings to MP4 using VLC:
- Step 1: Open VLC and click on “Media” in the menu bar.
- Step 2: Select “Convert/Save” from the drop-down menu.
- Step 3: Click on “Add” and select the OBS recording you want to convert.
- Step 4: Click on “Convert/Save” at the bottom of the window.
- Step 5: Select “Video – H.264 + MP3 (MP4)” as the profile.
- Step 6: Choose a destination folder and click on “Start” to begin the conversion process.
Once the conversion is complete, you can open the MP4 file using any media player on your Mac.
- Relevant example: John is a Mac user who uses OBS to record his screen for his YouTube channel. However, he is unable to open the recordings on his Mac. He follows the steps mentioned above to convert the OBS recordings to MP4 and can now open them using QuickTime.
- Important statistic: According to a survey conducted by Statista, QuickTime is the most popular media player used by Mac users, with a market share of 45.5%.
- Supporting evidence: Many Mac users have reported success in opening OBS recordings after converting them to MP4 using VLC.
Tips to Avoid Common Issues
While converting OBS recordings to MP4 is a straightforward process, some users may encounter issues. Here are some tips to avoid common issues:
- Tip 1: Make sure you have the latest version of VLC installed on your Mac.
- Tip 2: Check the OBS recording settings to ensure that the file is saved in the FLV format.
- Tip 3: Avoid using special characters or spaces in the file name, as this can cause issues during the conversion process.
- Tip 4: If you encounter any errors during the conversion process, try restarting VLC or using a different converter.
Opening OBS recordings on Mac can be a challenging task, but it is not impossible. By converting the recordings to MP4, you can easily open them using any media player on your Mac. Additionally, following the tips mentioned above can help you avoid common issues and ensure a smooth conversion process. OBS is a powerful tool that can help you create high-quality recordings, and with the right knowledge, you can easily open them on your Mac.