Open Broadcaster Software (OBS) is a popular tool for live streaming and recording videos. However, one of the most common issues that users face is sound distortion. This can be frustrating, especially if you’re trying to create high-quality content. In this article, we’ll explore some of the reasons why OBS sound distortion occurs and provide some tips on how to fix it.
Why Does OBS Sound Distortion Occur?
Before we dive into the solutions, it’s important to understand why OBS sound distortion occurs. There are several reasons why this might happen:
- Hardware issues: If your microphone or other audio equipment is faulty, it can cause sound distortion in OBS.
- Software issues: OBS may not be configured correctly, or there may be conflicts with other software on your computer.
- Internet connection: If you’re live streaming, a poor internet connection can cause sound distortion.
How to Fix OBS Sound Distortion
Check Your Hardware
The first step in fixing OBS sound distortion is to check your hardware. Make sure that your microphone and other audio equipment are working correctly. If you’re using a USB microphone, try unplugging it and plugging it back in. If you’re using an XLR microphone, make sure that it’s properly connected to your audio interface.
Adjust OBS Settings
If your hardware is working correctly, the next step is to adjust your OBS settings. Here are some things to try:
- Reduce the mic volume: If your microphone is too loud, it can cause sound distortion. Try reducing the mic volume in OBS.
- Change the sample rate: OBS defaults to a sample rate of 44.1kHz, but some microphones may work better with a different sample rate. Try changing the sample rate to 48kHz or 96kHz.
- Adjust the audio bitrate: If you’re live streaming, a low audio bitrate can cause sound distortion. Try increasing the audio bitrate in OBS.
- Disable audio enhancements: If you’re using Windows, there may be audio enhancements enabled that are causing sound distortion in OBS. Try disabling these enhancements in your sound settings.
Check for Software Conflicts
If adjusting your OBS settings doesn’t fix the sound distortion, there may be conflicts with other software on your computer. Here are some things to try:
- Close other programs: If you have other programs running while using OBS, they may be causing conflicts. Try closing these programs and see if the sound distortion goes away.
- Update your drivers: Outdated drivers can cause all sorts of issues, including sound distortion in OBS. Make sure that your audio drivers are up to date.
- Reinstall OBS: If all else fails, try reinstalling OBS. This can sometimes fix software conflicts that are causing sound distortion.
Check Your Internet Connection
If you’re live streaming and none of the above solutions work, the issue may be with your internet connection. Here are some things to try:
- Check your upload speed: Use a speed test tool to check your upload speed. If it’s too low, you may need to upgrade your internet plan.
- Reduce the stream quality: If your internet connection is too slow, try reducing the stream quality in OBS. This can help reduce sound distortion.
- Use a wired connection: If you’re using Wi-Fi, try using a wired connection instead. Wi-Fi can be less stable and cause sound distortion.
OBS sound distortion can be a frustrating issue, but there are several solutions to try. Start by checking your hardware and adjusting your OBS settings. If that doesn’t work, check for software conflicts and make sure that your internet connection is stable. With a little bit of troubleshooting, you can create high-quality content without any sound distortion.