Responding to text messages directly on the Apple Watch is a popular way individuals utilize the device. In addition to composing messages, you can also eliminate messages to conserve storage space. The Apple Watch can accommodate up to 32 GB of data, depending on the version you possess. You won’t consume all of that space for messages, but if you require more room, deleting text messages is one method to liberate some space. Deleting messages is time-consuming, but it’s worth contemplating if you want to create more space on your device.
How to Erase Messages on Apple Watch
1. Eliminate a single message thread
To erase messages on your Apple Watch, you can’t erase all of them at once, but you can erase individual conversations. Here’s how:
- Press the Digital Crown on your Apple Watch to access the app screen.
- Scroll down and select Messages.
- Swipe left to view your options.
- Tap the red Trashcan icon on the right to eliminate the conversation thread.
- Repeat these steps for each conversation you wish to remove from your Apple Watch.
Note: It’s a good idea to back up your Apple Watch before erasing any messages.
2. Eliminate multiple texts or conversation threads
You might have been wondering how to erase all text messages simultaneously on your Apple Watch. Unfortunately, there isn’t a way to do that. If you want to erase multiple text messages, you’ll need to erase them one by one on your iPhone.
Here’s the step-by-step guide on how to erase multiple text messages simultaneously from your iPhone:
- Open the Messages app on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Edit” button.
- Select “Select Messages.”
- Choose the text messages you want to erase.
- Tap the “Erase” button.
- Confirm your decision to erase the selected messages.
That’s it! You now know how to erase multiple messages at once.
How Long Do Messages Stay on Apple Watch?
Messages on your Apple Watch are only saved for 30 days. The primary purpose of having messages on the watch is to quickly respond and send texts without requiring your iPhone. That’s why resolving the deletion of multiple messages at once hasn’t been accomplished, because the messages eventually disappear on their own. However, it can be frustrating not being able to erase your texts across devices smoothly. Currently, there is no way to store messages on your Apple Watch for longer than 30 days.
Can You See Deleted Messages on an Apple Watch?
If you unintentionally erase a text message on your iPhone, you can still view it on your Apple Watch, as long as it hasn’t been manually erased there as well. Simply open the Messages app on your Apple Watch and search for the specific message. However, this only applies to regular SMS messages. If an iMessage is erased on your iPhone, it will also be erased on your Apple Watch.
This occurs because iMessages are stored in the cloud, and erasing them also removes them from the cloud. The good news is that you can recover erased messages on your iPhone. If the messages (both SMS and iMessage) were erased within the last 30 days, you can open the Messages app on your iPhone, tap ‘Filters’ in the top-left corner, select ‘Recently Deleted,’ choose the texts you want to restore, and tap ‘Recover.’ Unfortunately, recovering an iMessage on your iPhone doesn’t restore it on your Apple Watch.
How to Back up Your iMessage Messages on the Cloud to Prevent Accidental Deletion or Device Loss?
If you use iMessage instead of regular text messages, it’s important to have a backup of your messages on the iCloud. This way, you can still access them if you accidentally delete them or lose your devices. It’s also a good way to save space on your device if your messages contain many images, videos, and audio files. Here’s how to back up your messages:
- Open the “Settings” app on your iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on the section with your Apple ID name.
- Open the “iCloud” menu.
- Turn on the toggle switch for the “Messages” option under the “Apps” section.
- To ensure the backup is enabled, go to “iCloud” and check if the “iCloud Backup” option is turned on.
How to Restore Your Backed-up Messages to Your Apple Watch from iCloud?
To download your backed-up messages and have them replicated on your Apple Watch, follow these steps:
- Open “Settings”.
- Go to “General”.
- Select “Reset” and tap on “Erase All Content and Settings”.
- Confirm your decision by tapping “Erase Now”.
- Your device will restart, and you’ll see the “Apps and Data” page.
- Choose “Restore from iCloud Backup” from the options provided.
- Select the most recent backup that includes your deleted conversation and follow the onscreen instructions.
In conclusion, managing and erasing messages on your Apple Watch can help you optimize storage space and maintain device organization. While individual message threads can be erased directly on the Apple Watch, erasing multiple messages simultaneously is a feature exclusive to the iPhone. Throughout this article, we have provided a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to effectively erase messages on your Apple Watch. By following these instructions, you can efficiently manage your messages and ensure a clutter-free experience on your device. Also read How to Activate 5G on iPhone 11, 12, 13, 14.