VirtualBox is completely free and open-source software for creating Virtual Machines that has become extremely popular for the same reason. To streamline your work with VirtualBox, there are various lesser-known key combinations. In this article, we will explore some of the greatest VirtualBox key combinations to enhance your efficiency with this tool.
Greatest VirtualBox Key Combinations to Enhance Performance
Below are the greatest Oracle VirtualBox key combinations that you should know:
- Management of Virtual Machines
- Control Functions
- Display Options
- Windows Management
- Extensions Pack Management
- Storage Management
- Log Management
- Network Management
- Remote Cloud Management
Let’s take a look at some of the key combinations for managing VMs as mentioned above.
1] Management of Virtual Machines
To enhance convenience and efficiency, managing the virtual machine is essential, and here are some of the key combinations for that:
- Alt + M, followed by Alt + R: To remove the current Virtual Machine from the list.
- Ctrl + I: To import a Virtual appliance to the current list. Similarly, clicking ‘E’ instead of ‘I’ can EXPORT it.
- Ctrl + N: For creating a new Virtual Machine. And when you replace ‘N’ with ‘P’, your virtual machine will be paused.
2] Control Functions
There are various key combinations for suspending, reloading, and performing other control functions, and here are some of them:
- Right Ctrl + P: To suspend the currently running Virtual machine or replace P with R to reload the currently running Virtual machine.
- Right Ctrl + S: For opening the Settings Windows while running the Virtual Machine.
- Right Ctrl + H: To send a Power off signal to the Virtual Machine.
3] Display Options
Key combinations for display options:
- Right Ctrl + C: To turn on the Scaled display in the running Virtual machine.
- Right Ctrl + L: To turn on the seamless mode for the running virtual machine.
- Right Ctrl + A: To resize the display window to the current resolution of the running Virtual machine.
4] Windows Management
Having key combinations for managing Windows in VirtualBox is essential to reduce mouse dependency, improve accessibility, consistency, and quick access in full-screen mode.
- Ctrl + Alt + Shift + upper sign or lower sign: To place the desk either one on top of the other or below.
- Ctrl + Q: This terminates the current VirtualBox session.
5] Extensions Pack Management
Extension packs are crucial for specific functionalities such as Virtual webcam integration, and therefore, having key combinations for this is extremely important.
- Ctrl + Shift + I: This key allows users to install a new extension pack on the current installation. Replacing ‘I’ with ‘U’ uninstalls an existing extension pack.
6] Storage Management
Here are some key combinations for managing storage:
- Ctrl + Shift + F: This will reload the list of Virtual Disks currently present for you to select.
- Ctrl + Shift + A: Without wasting time on importing an existing Virtual Disk image, users can import them to the current installation using this key combination.
- Similarly, if a user replaces ‘A’ with ‘C’, then they can select and clone the Virtual Disk image.
7] Log Management
Log management is necessary for troubleshooting, monitoring, security, and performance optimization. Therefore, here are some key combinations to make it easier:
- Ctrl + Shift + F: The key combination launches the search prompt for active Log Viewer.
- Ctrl + Shift + T: This shortcut performs a filtered term search in the current active Log Viewer in just a few seconds.
- Ctrl + Shift + D: Finding available bookmarks is now effortless with this key combination.
- Ctrl + Shift + P: Pressing these keys allows to access available display settings for the active Log Viewer you are using.
8] Network Management
- Ctrl + Shift + P, followed by Alt + A: This combination opens up the controller-specific settings for the virtual network.
- Ctrl + Shift + C: If you want a new Virtual Network Controller, this key combination is for you.
- Ctrl + Shift + P, followed by Alt + D: This combination opens up the DHCP server settings of the working network controller.
9] Remote Cloud Management
- Ctrl + Shift + T: To open the free trial offer for Oracle remote cloud access.
- Ctrl + Shift + P: This key combination allows users to turn on the available settings for a specific remote cloud account.
- Ctrl + Shift + A: Creating a new remote cloud profile in just three clicks.
Read: How to install macOS in VirtualBox on Windows 11?
How to optimize VirtualBox performance under Windows 10/11?
There are various ways to optimize VirtualBox performance. Some of them include enabling hardware virtualization in BIOS, allocating sufficient RAM and CPU cores, using SSD storage for VMs, and more. Additionally, users can install VirtualBox Guest Additions and enable SD and 3D acceleration for maximum performance. It is also important to keep VirtualBox and guest OS updated to avoid error messages.
How to use more CPU in VirtualBox?
Before allocating more CPU resources to a Virtual machine, ensure that the host system’s CPU supports hardware virtualization and is enabled in the BIOS/UEFI settings. Here’s how to do it:
- Firstly, close the virtual machine and open VirtualBox on the host system.
- Select the Virtual Machine, right-click on it, and select Settings.
- Now, click on System > Processor.
- You can then add more CPU cores using the Processor slider.
- Hit the OK button and restart the Virtual machine. It will open with more CPU cores.
This will do the job for you.
Read: How to install VirtualBox Guest Additions on Windows.