UnliHow – 3+ How to Remove Old Windows on Win 7, 8, 10 Until Clean
Have you recently upgraded your computer but the drive on the system immediately filled up? Usually, this is because the old OS is still stored. This article on how to delete old windows can be one solution to overcome it.
Some people are often wrong in overcoming problems like this. Instead, they solve it by deleting unnecessary data on the computer or uninstalling unused applications.
While doing so can give the drive a bit more capacity, it’s basically less effective. The reason is, the problem is the old windows file or Windows.old that is still stored.
So, one of the best ways to solve this problem is to delete the old windows. But before moving on to how to do it, it’s good to know what is meant by old windows.
What is Old Windows
Old Windows is a folder that contains old windows system files before you upgrade. Generally, this folder is deleted automatically some time after you use the new OS.
As is known in general, windows have a fairly large size. That’s why this old windows folder can make the drive on the system full fast.
Windows.old is created automatically when you upgrade the system. Its purpose is to make a backup of the old system so that it can be used for a restore if needed.
For example, if you are not satisfied with the performance of Windows 10 after upgrading, then you can restore it or downgrade to previous windows using the help of this old windows folder.
So vice versa, if you are comfortable with the performance of windows after the upgrade, then you can delete the old windows folder that is still stored on the computer drive.
How to Remove Old Windows
Delete old windows by direct delete sometimes does not apply. So so that the old windows folder can be deleted, there are some special steps to do it.
But you don’t worry because the method is quite easy to do. In fact there are several different ways so that it can be an alternative choice.
Deleting files from the old windows folder can be done on windows 10, 8, and 7 permanently and is proven safe.
Disk Cleanup is a feature of Windows that serves to clean the drives on the computer. Generally this feature is used to safely delete junk files including the old windows folder.
Here’s how to remove old windows until clean:
- Open file explorer on your laptop or PC.
- Then right click the drive (C:).
- Then select the Properties option.
- Click the Disk Cleanup button.
- Then click Clean Up System Files.
- Check the box for Previous Windows Installations and then OK.
- Click Delete Files and then select the Yes option to approve.
- After that, wait for the process to finish.
The length of time it takes to delete this old windows folder depends on its size. When finished, don’t forget to restart your PC or laptop.
Command Prompt or often referred to as CMD is a program in Windows that is able to run commands. You also delete old windows by giving this command in CMD.
How to delete old windows with cmd:
- Press Windows key + R then type CMD click OK.
- Then a CMD window will open.
- Type command takeown /FC:Windows.old* /R /A
- Then press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Then type cacls C:Windows.old. /T /grant administrators:F
- Press the Enter key then type Y and press Enter again.
- Next enter the command rmdir /S /QC:Windows.old
- And press Enter to apply the command.
Now you just need to wait for the process to finish, and then restart your computer or laptop. Deleting the old windows folder using CMD could be a pretty good solution.
CCleaner is a cleaning software for windows that is quite popular and has proven its capabilities. This CCleaner has a feature to delete old windows and their contents as a whole, clean and permanent.
How to remove old windows with ccleaner:
- Run CCleaner on your PC or laptop.
- Then enter the Cleaner menu.
- Check the Old Windows Installation box.
- Usually this option appears in the Advanced list section.
- Now click the Analyze button to start scanning.
- Then the size of the old windows folder will appear.
- Click the Run Cleaner button and wait for CCleaner to finish removing old windows from the PC.
Although CCleaner can be used free of charge, it provides significant benefits for PCs and laptops. Some people even consider this software a must-have for every computer.
Well, those are some ways you can do to permanently delete the windows.old folder and its contents until it’s clean on win 7, 8, and 10 safely.
That’s the whole content of our article this time about 3+ How to Remove Old Windows on Win 7, 8, 10 Until Clean